Nature of Matter Lab Activity
Matter is defined as anything that has mass and takes up space. In this lab, students will explore the nature of matter through a simple neutralization reaction between acetic acid (vinegar) and sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) which generates carbon dioxide gas and inflates the balloon. The experiment may be done as a demonstration for the class or as small groups of two or three students.
Students should be reminded of appropriate safety precautions when carrying out lab activities involving acids and bases.
Materials you will need:
- Download these worksheets:
- 2-1 Lab Activity Student Edition - Nature of Matter (PDF)
- 2-1 Lab Activity Teacher Edition - Nature of Matter ( Members Only )
- 2-1 Lab Activity TE - Nature of Matter ( Members Only )
- 2-1 Lab Activity SE - Nature of Matter (Doc)
- balloons - small to medium sized
- plastic bottle – empty, any size
- 2 x funnel
- baking soda
- white vinegar
- Use the funnel to fill the plastic bottle with vinegar to 1/3 capacity.
- Insert the other funnel to the mouth of the balloon and half fill it with baking soda. Pinch the neck of the balloon so that no baking soda can escape.
- Stretch the mouth of the balloon over the neck of bottle and ensure it is firm. Note you may need to hold it there if it is too loose.
- Lift the balloon so that it is vertical and allow the baking soda to fall into the bottle.
- Observe what happens and record.
The Nature of Matter Activity:
Students record their predictions and results of the lab activity. Once the activity is finished, discuss the lab activity and answer post-lab questions.
We also provided some of the Resources below for you to use in class. iTeachly Members can access all the content for the activity and the following lesson.
Students must come up with a unanimous answer for each question. Discussing the answers usually, results in some excellent dialogue on this topic.
Here is your Free Content for the Nature of Matter Part of the Lesson!
Nature of Matter - PDFs
- 2-1 Assignment SE - Nature of Matter (FREE)
- 2-1 Assignment Teacher Edition ( Members Only )
- 2-1 Bell Work SE - Nature of Matter (FREE)
- 2-1 Bell Work Teacher Edition ( Members Only )
- 2-1 Exit Quiz SE - Nature of Matter (FREE)
- 2-1 Exit Quiz Teacher Edition( Members Only )
- 2-1 Guided Notes SE - Nature of Matter (FREE)
- 2-1 Guided Notes Teacher Edition ( Members Only )
- 2-1 Lesson Plan ( Members Only )
- 2-1 Online Activities ( Members Only )
- 2-1 Slide Show - Nature of Matter (FREE)
Nature of Matter Worksheets - Word Docs & PowerPoints
To gain access to our editable content Join the iTeachly Physical Science Teacher Community!
Here you will find hundreds of lessons, a community of teachers for support, and materials that are always up to date with the latest standards.
Want Access to Everything in the Structure and Properties of Matter Unit?
Unit 2 – Structure and Properties of Matter
- 2-1 Nature of Matter
- 2-2 Mass
- 2-3 Density
- 2-4 Properties and Uses of Substances
- 2-5 Changes of State
- 2-6 Particle Theory of Matter
- 2-7 Using Particle Theory
- 2-8 Mixtures
- 2-9 Solubility
- 2-10 Separating Techniques
Simply click the image below to GET ALL OF OUR LESSONS!
Don't Forget to Pin This Lesson on Nature of Matter...